Smoothping Elite has been designed to help you get the most out of your gaming experience. By using Smoothping Elite, you will always have the most up-to-date server information and the best ping times possible, all in one easy-to-use application!
Smoothping Elite supports World of Warcraft, Aion, Rift, Star Wars, Tera, Dragon Nest, Tibia, Darkfall, Eve online, Apb Reloaded, and Vindictus. If you need support for other games, please follow the procedures outlined in our "Connecting to Other Games" section.
Please note that the Smoothping Elite client is a Windows-Only application. You may still use our servers to play WoW on the Mac using a third-party application and following these instructions.
- Initial Setup
- World of Warcraft
- Other Supported Games
- Connection Information
- Alternate Programs
- Older Versions
Setting up the Smoothping Elite Client is fast and easy!
Run the installer and follow the prompts. Once the client is installed, launch the client and go through the configuration. The first thing you should see is a box awaiting your account information:
Enter your account's user name and password in the boxes provided. Always remember, your user name will always be all lower-case characters. Your password will be completely case-sensitive (i.e.; "passWORD" will be different than "PassWord").
If you've forgotten any of your account information, or to set up a new account, you can click on the corresponding links.
Setting Up Smoothping Elite for World of Warcraft
The next thing you will need to do is select your realm server from the menu listings. If you need to change regions (US or EU), select this from the drop-down menu.
Once you've selected your realm, you will be shown a listing of your recommended servers. Click on the radio button next to the one that is giving you the lowest overall "ping" time.
At any time, you can refresh these ping times by clicking on the "Ping" link. If you would like to see a listing of all servers and the ping times that they have, you may select this from the drop-down menu.
That's it! You're now connected! These settings will be saved for you to use automatically the next time you launch Smoothping Elite and you can change them at any time by clicking on the "World of Warcraft" link in the realm information window.
Click on the "PLAY WoW" button to launch and enjoy!
If you need to change the path to your WoW.exe file, right-click on the "PLAY WoW" button and set the game path.
Setting up Smoothping Elite for other supported games
To set up Smoothping Elite to play other supported games, simply select a Smoothping server that is closest to the game servers location.
If you are connecting internationally, select a server that is at, or closest to, the first point of entry into that country for the best ping time (for example, living in the EU and playing on US servers, connect through New York, or from Australia, connect through Los Angeles).
After you have selected your server, simply launch your game client as you normally would.
This setup information is also present on the client itself by clicking on the Aion, Rift and Other Games links beneath the realm information window.
Once you've connected, you have a lot of information available at-a-glance, from your subscription information to how long you've been connected and how much data has been sent and received.
The user information window shows you the user name you're logged in under, whether you're a trial account or a subscription (and when your current subscription will expire). You can click on your user name to change accounts if you have more than one account (note: clicking on your user name will immediately log you out).
You can also click the links displayed and they will open in your Internet browser window allowing you to make a payment and give you information about your account on the Smoothping site.
The realm information window for World of Warcraft players shows you your version of the WoW client, what realm you've currently set (may not be the actual realm you're connected to in-game if you've changed while still connected) and the datacenter that this realm is based out of.
Clicking on the "World of Warcraft" link will allow you to change this at any time.
The connection information window shows you what Smoothping server you're connected to (and whether you're still connected as indicated by either a green or red flashing dot), the current ping time of that server, how long you've been connected for (or how long you have remaining if you're under a trial account) and your data traffic.
Your downstream traffic is the amount of information that has been transmitted to your computer. Upstream is the reverse. These figures are important - if they are present, you're connected through our service. If they are reading "0", then you are not actually connected to your game through the Smoothping service and you should then consult with the troubleshooting methods outlined below.
- Can't Login: Remember that your user name is all lower-case and your password is case-sensitive ("PASSword" will be different than "PassWord"). If you are still unable to login, visit the members section, login with your user name and password, then click on the link to kick yourself from the servers. You should be able to login normally now. If you still can't login, try changing your password in the Members section of the site, then change it back immediately. This will often re-sync the database with the server. Please note that you may only be logged in once for each account. Multiple logins on different computers under the same account are not allowed.
- Com Interface Exception: This is an error that occasionally displays following a new installation. Rebooting your computer will normally clear this error.
- WoW Doesn't Launch: Right-click on the "PLAY WoW" button and enter the correct path to your WoW.exe file.
- No Downstream/Upstream Traffic: Make certain that you are logged fully into a character and in-game. You won't notice any traffic until you are past the character selection screen. If you still don't see any traffic, please consult with the next step below.
- Not Connected: You should see Downstream/Upstream traffic. If it's present, you're connected. You can further test this by changing to a different server on the Smoothping Elite client or just close the Smoothping Elite client altogether. If everything is properly configured, you will be disconnected from your game's server. If you aren't showing any Downstream/Upstream traffic and you don't get disconnected when you close the client, then close your game and re-launch the client. Click on your user name and re-login with your name and password. Re-select your server and then launch your game.
- Program Won't Run: Right-click on the icon and select "Run As Administrator" from the pop-up menu. If it still won't run, open your Smoothping Elite folder in your Program Files directory. Look for a file called "wyUpdate.exe" and double-click it to launch. This will force an update. You may already have the latest version, but this should then enable you to launch Smoothping. Failing this, open your Control Panel, open Administrative Tools and select "Services" (or type "Services" in a Run dialog box). Look for the "SmoothPingProxy" entry and if it is listed as running, right-click and select "Stop Service". If these three methods fail, you may either need to use our older version or connect through an alternate means.
- Ping Isn't Being Lowered: Ensure you are not downloading/uploading any programs or streaming any media and ensure no one else on your network is. Close any unneeded background utilities and reboot (physically turn off and unplug for 1 minute) your router and/or modem. Certain VOIP (voice over Internet) programs (such as Skype, for example) can severely impact your bandwidth.
- Other Situations: There may be times when something needs more personalized attention, or there is some feature you'd like to see added or clarified. Maybe you have a suggestion for a different look or feel to the client. Click on the help icon ("?") at the top-right. This will open a window and from here you can submit feedback to our programmer. You can also click on the "Support" link to send an email to our technical support if there is an issue that you just can't resolve using the methods above. In both cases, please be as descriptive as possible.
While the Smoothping Elite client will be the best solution for most people, in rare instances security settings, firewall types, blocked ports or other variables may prevent it from working properly. Should this be your situation, we have a few different options to help you get into the game.
- FreeCap. A freeware program that and enables connection to SSH tunneling using telnet programs such as PuTTY. This is the primary free method that many of our members use.
- WideCap. WideCap is a free alternative to FreeCap. Our users have mixed success with this method.
- ProxyCap. ProxyCap is a commercial alternative to the free solutions, WideCap and FreeCap. They have a free 30 day trial. For the users that WideCap and FreeCap don't work for, most have had very good success with ProxyCap.
- Proxifier. Proxifier is also another commercial alternative to WideCap and FreeCap. They also have a free 30 day trial.
In rare situations, you may find that the Smoothping Elite client will not perform properly on your system. Should this be the case, please feel free to dowload and install our older Smoothping Elite client.